Thursday, December 6, 2012

Bits and Pieces of Georgian Life


გამარჯობა მეგობარები!

Hello friends!

There are officially 17 days remaining on my Georgian adventure! SO CRAZY RIGHT?  Sometimes when I think about it, it feels like I just got here really.  But since things are settling down I’ve decided to spend more time with my host family in the midst of my immediate departure so no real awesome adventures of climbing mountains and exploring caves to retell for you all now.  But I thought I would share some little random tidbits of life that’s been happening here in Apeni:

I was walking home from the marshrutka stop last Saturday and as I turned the corner to my street a small second grade student of mine, Goga was walking with two other kids (who probably go to the other school in my village).  As soon as he recognized me he lifted up his arms (mind you he’s about 3 feet tall) and yelled “KELSEY!!”  It put a huge smile on my face.  As I got closer we exchanged “Hello’s” and as I walked away I heard him saying to his friends, “chemi mastsavlebeli” or “my teacher” in Georgian.  It always warms my heart a little to hear my students speaking English to me outside of the classroom (and being super excited to see me on the street!).

Ever since Luka found out I played soccer for one year back in 5th grade he’s introduced me to the computer soccer game he likes to play with his friends.  He always lets me be either Madrid or Barcelona and corrects my mistakes in placing the players on the field (“Kelsey, Kelsey, no, no, no” before grabbing the controller).  

After beating me soundly on the computer version of soccer Luka and I have advanced to playing a very simplified version in the living room.  We use our house slippers as goal posts and make a ball out of paper.  When you live in a developing country you gotta make do with what you’ve got!  He’s a pretty good player for a twelve year old, and once again beats me every time.

Not to mention the fact that Luka also beats me in chess and checkers almost every time.  I have him beat in Backgammon though (called “nardi” in Georgian).  I've learned how to play the game while being here and it's really fun!  Not at all an "old person's game."

The weather is getting colder over here so the wood stove (a pechki) has been placed in the kitchen area.  It’s nice and toasty in there and apparently I’m pretty good at keeping it going (a new life skill if you will).  Tamila complimented me with an “ocha, Kelsey, ocha” the other day when she noticed how great my fire-tending skills are.  Nobody gettin’ cold on my watch! (I’m not sure what “ocha” translates to in English, but the teachers always say it to the students who do a great job at something).

Speaking of heat, the host parents have given me a space heater for my bedroom.  I heat that baby up for a few hours before I go to bed and now I'm not shivering when I go to sleep!

I’ve already talked about this with some of you back home but my host family is also currently raising about 20 pigs in the backyard.  Their main hangout place is right below my bedroom window.  They mainly spend their time wandering around the grape vines and burrowing into the dirt with their noses.  Sometimes I swear there are about 30 pigs out there (where do they come from?), but they aren’t really that noisy or smelly (granted I never open my window on account of the cold now).  Apparently we’re feeding the whole village for New Year’s Eve dinner.

More awesome Georgian food: Tamila has started bringing out some canned fruit juice lately and it’s really good.  So far only peach and raspberry juices have made an appearance at the dinner table; the little pieces of fruit after drinking the juice are a nice treat.  Going to try and find some sort of recipe for this so I can make it in the States!

Another new food Tamila has introduced is muraba.  This is like candied fruit and nuts in a sugary water/syrup.  Sounds great right?  It’s actually pretty good.  I’ve tried a cherry one with a pecan-type nut in the middle, a big black nut muraba whose name I can’t remember and I’ve had a watermelon muraba which was…interesting (the watermelon is a weird greenish-yellow color and doesn’t really taste like much other than sugar).  There’s also a variation of this that can be put into tea which is really good!  The raspberry and cherry ones are the best so far!

Finally got around to telling my co-teachers Nino and Margo when I’m leaving Georgia.  They both were pretty sad to hear the finalized date of the 23rd (they’ve known the whole time I would be leaving in December) and Margo even exclaimed, “Oh don’t go, I love you!”

When I told my host family when I would be leaving I think Tamila took it as 20 days left for her to feed me.  After she found out she proceeded to give me mtchadi and cheese and tell me how skinny I am.

Random Thing of the Week: My school has decided to change the school day start time to 9:30am and has shorten each class period from 45 to 40 minutes.  No real rhyme or reason was given (other than it becoming dark earlier), but at least I get to sleep in a little more now.

My 5th grade class is on the Level 3 English book and we’ve finally arrived to the unit in the book that begins with a story about American pioneers.  It’s a bit random and it’s missing a bit of the proper history concerning the time period, but I guess they don’t need to know in-depth American History when they have like 1000s of years of Georgian history to understand first.

In an effort to start the first graders off right when it comes to learning English I made them all a set of homemade alphabet flashcards to use at home!  I cut index cards in half, wrote the English letter on one side and then drew the picture from their textbooks that correspond with each letter.  I may not be the greatest artist but if it helps them learn their letters more quickly, then AWESOME.  They seem to love them!  They bring them to class every day and we do exercises with them (like, “Hold up letter H!”).

My flashcards!


When I have some spare time I've been frantically searching for jobs online for when I return to the States and to Ann Arbor.  I can’t really do much while I’m still all the way over here and 9 hours ahead but at least I’m getting a heads start!

Can’t believe the end is so near!  Hopefully I will have a few more posts for you soon!

kargad! (“Bye!” in Georgian)

Kelsey








1 comment:

  1. I love how excited Luca is about your extensive soccer skills. I also love that you guys have been playing it in the living room with a ball of paper. It reminds me of playing mini sticks, sort of like mini hockey, in the living room at home with shoes as goal posts.

    I'm excited to see youuuu!

    ReplyDelete