Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Orientation Week!


gamarjoba!

My greeting to you today is Georgian for hello!  I’ve been in Georgia for about a week but it feels like I’ve been here for much longer already (and I’m sure my other volunteers would definitely agree with me on this).  I’m in the midst of orientation week here in the capital city of Tbilisi and my days are full of learning cultural peculiarities, coffee drinking and exploring the city while trying to master some conversational Georgian.  Needless to say I’ve been busy but I’m going to take some time tonight to catch up on email as well as my journaling and blogging. 

Since arriving to the hotel at 5am on the 15th I’ve mostly gotten over the jet lag and have had a chance to explore the city a little bit with my fellow English teachers.  There are 57 of us training this week and there is always someone new to talk to or to explore the city with.  It’s been great getting to know this diverse group of people who are coming from New Zealand, Australia, Britain, South Africa, the Philippines and the United States.  The first day I took a little nap in order to get some energy but by the afternoon I was already taking the metro to the famous Rustaveli Street with other volunteers.  We walked around for a bit, looking at the interesting architecture and the mix of old and new that seems to characterize much of Tbilisi.  There were many small shops and people selling produce and items on the sidewalks.  There was so much to look at that I wish I had another set of eyes.  We eventually made our way to a huge market in the city where they sold everything from clothes, to cell phones, to fruits and vegetables.  Here are a few pictures of that day:

Rustaveli Street

Rustaveli Statue

A street near the marketplace

There's a market with clothes underneath this!

Another notable event this past week was my 22nd birthday on the 16th!!  A group of us went into Old Town Tbilisi during the morning and hiked up a hill to get some awesome views of Tbilisi from above where the remnants of an old church remain.  We also got a close up view of Kartlis Deda or “Mother Georgia” as it translates.  She overlooks like the city quite like the Christ the Redeemer Statue in Rio de Janeiro and is holding a vat of wine to symbolize Georgian hospitality to guests and a sword to ward off enemies.  We wandered around the city a bit more and walked across the Peace Bridge which was opened in 2010; a more modern piece of architecture in downtown Tbilisi.  It was a really great time going into the city to explore some more and it was a great birthday overall (and everyone in training wished me Happy Birthday!  It felt awesome to feel some love from these new friends!). 

Overlooking Tbilisi!

Mother Georgia Statue

Peace Bridge

Architecture of Tbilisi
In addition to all the fun we’re having in the city, we obviously have to learn something during this orientation, so we’ve been attending various seminars and language classes during the day.  Georgia is a developing country containing many intricate cultural and societal differences compared to the United States and other western countries, so we’ve been trying to get some grasp on what these are and how we should act when we are placed with our host families and living in this country.  For example, comparative to the United States, Georgia is a patriarchal society with stricter gender roles; Georgian women are expected to maintain the home and cook much of the meals whereas Georgian men are seen as the breadwinner of the family.  The Georgian language has been so difficult to grasp for the majority of us since it is a completely new alphabet and pronunciation.  It will definitely be interesting trying to communicate with our host families once we are on our own in speaking!  Some of the words are pretty hard to pronounce correctly such as “dila mashvidobisa” for good morning.

After our seminars end for the day I’ve either been going out into the city with others for a few hours or I’ve been staying in the hotel, attempting to study Georgian with the rest of the group.  Orientation has definitely been a fast-paced learning experience which will hopefully help me when I eventually get to the village with my host family.  The end of this learning period is coming soon, so I’m off to go study some more Georgian for a bit!

Lots of love from Georgia,
Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment